Saturday, April 11, 2009

Here’s a hint for watercolor painters!


This is my very messy palette - all full of paint from several paintings. The only problem is... what exactly is that color????When it was time to refill an empty spot it was really hard to know exactly which color I used originally. I love to try new colors or new brands, so sometimes the same - or very similar - color will be in two wells right next to each other. Also, watercolor paint has different qualities according to what color or brand it is and this is very useful information when you are painting.


In order to have this information handy, I created a small watercolor notebook that has color charts made with the paint that I use. Be sure to make your color chart using a good quality watercolor paper so that the colors will be similar in appearance when you are doing a painting. I used a permanent black sharpie marker to write the name and brand of the paint on the paper in a chart. The chart is a map of my palette where each color was painted in the same location as it appears on my palette. I painted a good sized area that goes over the chart and covers the words of the color. Now I can see at a glance what brand, color, how transparent, and whether I am comparing it to a previous color that I have used.

Well, I hope you enjoyed that little tour of my palette. If you have a hint that you would like to share, send me an email at the_art_store@yahoo.com and you may see your hint featured in a future blog!

Kathleen

No comments: